For this year’s graduation, I decided to decorate my cap with a little more than a sticker.
The first step into planning was deciding what motor to use. I wanted the electronics to be as simple as possible.
- Cheap DC motors (that were available) were difficult to mount onto the cap
- I didn’t want a brushless quadcopter motor chopping off fingers
- Stepper motors were too heavy and needed an extra driver board
I ended up removing the blades on a PC cooling fan. Though these fans were based on brushless motors, they are low power and have a controller built into them. At 4 watts, they’re powerful enough to carry a quadcopter propeller on them.
I chose 9” propellers so that they would fit just inside the 9.25” x 9.25” cap. Both the original blades and the propeller blades CAN CUT YOU when running at full speed. Sanding down the edges will let you stick your finger in without any bleeding.
To stick the large propeller on the now-bladeless fan, I printed a piece and superglued everything together.
I tried to use the cheapest electronics possible. The unofficial Arduino Nanos are $4 each (in bulk). The 433 MHz ASK radio transmitter / receiver pairs are less than $1 each. The remaining perfboards, switches, transistor (BC517) and wire are less than $1 combined.
The idea is pressing the switch on the controller / transmitter will drive the transistor on the hat / receiver. The transistor does get a little hot to the touch, so I put a heatsink just in case.
The antenna is a quarter wavelength wire (~17.3 cm), which significantly improve range. I didn’t need any more than that since it would only need to reach from my hand to my head.
ASK RF transmitters and receivers are difficult to work with on their own. The RadioHead library implements a simple protocol for sending bits. This makes the software exteremely straightforward.
Cap / Receiver Side
Controller / Transmitter Side
The cardboard inside the graduation cap was actually rather sturdy, so I went ahead and cut slits into the cardboard and mounted the fan with the provided screws and nuts. I went ahead and zip-tied the remaining board through the cardboard.